Have you heard about Wi-Fi thermostats yet? Chances are, you have! Featured in commercials, online advertisements, and the homes of your friends and family, Wi-Fi thermostats are the latest and greatest things to enter the HVAC world (heating, ventilation, and air conditioning). What you may not be so sure of, though, is which one is truly the best for your home.
Our answer may not be the most satisfying: it depends. However, it’s true! Which Wi-Fi thermostat you choose will depend a lot on your preferences, your budget, and even the HVAC contractors you work with. Luckily, we install some of the top names in smart home technology: Nest, Nexia, and Ecobee. We compare your options below!
Nest isn’t the only name in the game, but it may be the first you think of when you think of smart homes and Wi-Fi thermostats. We’ll just admit it: Nest thermostats are adorable. A clear, round display takes out the confusion, and lighting options even allow it the display to fade away and brighten up when you get near. This is certainly not Nest’s only benefit.
- A Nest thermostat automatically turns temperatures down (in the winter) or up (in the summer) when you leave.
- The Nest app is easy to use, and it is compatible with security cameras, doorbells, smoke detectors, and more.
- Nest’s research shows that a Nest thermostat can save so much money that it pays for itself in only about 2 years.
Nexia thermostats are a popular choice in the HVAC world, in part because they are made by one of the top brands in the HVAC industry. Nexia smart homes can do a whole lot for your safety and security and, of course, for your energy bills.
- Nexia smart home components allow you to manage AC, heating, security systems, lights, door locks, and more, all from the Nexia app.
- Compatible with a number of top AC and heating brands.
- Easy-to-read touch screen allows for advance scheduling and even tells you the weather outdoors.
Ecobee may not be compatible with all of the smart home technology of Nest and Nexia smart home systems, but an Ecobee thermostat packs a lot of power.
- You can install compatible Ecobee room sensors to detect variances in room temperature and help in managing hot and cold spots.
- Manage vacation settings, current temperature, and more with remote settings you can access from your smart phone.
- Uses Amazon Alexa voice controls, which can hear commands from well across the room.
While there may not be Ecobee branded smart home compatible produces (aside from those awesome room sensors), there is the option to control Ecobee with Amazon Alexa voice controls. That means that, if you’re an avid Alexa user, you have the option to upgrade to smart home components through Amazon as well. You can ask your thermostat to order groceries, read the news or the weather, and so much more.
Work with a Technician
In order to determine which thermostat is truly the best fit for your home, work with a qualified HVAC technician (preferably one who installs and services multiple units). They can help with checking for compatibility, to ensure your heating and cooling system are a good fit. Then, they will help you compare your options, configure the wiring, and decide whether additional smart home components are also an option for you.How to Prevent Heating Repair » « 3 Things to Know about Professional Duct Cleaning